The Housing Authority’s innovative Workforce Housing Program is designed to address the affordable housing needs of our community’s low to moderate income workforce who are increasingly caught in the gap between skyrocketing rents and ineligibility for other assistance. The Housing Authority is committed to providing affordable housing to make it possible for more people to live where they work, in Santa Barbara. This approach benefits people who can keep transporation and other costs to a minimum, and have more time to spend with family, education, or career development. And benefits us all by minimizing the impact of commuting on our environment and quality of life in Santa Barbara.
In many ways, the Housing Authority serves our workforce throughout all of its properties. The majority of our non-senior residents are working families – participating and contributing to our workforce, our economy and our community.
Workforce Housing Program Details
- The Workforce Housing Program was created for individuals who are gainfully employed a minimum of twenty (20) hours per week in the southcoast of Santa Barbara.
- Some units are targeted to persons employed within specified boundaries (see map link below); however, there are also properties without this restriction.
- All units are located within the City of Santa Barbara.
- Unit sizes range from studio to 3-bedroom.
- The income limits for the program vary based on individual units and projects, but cannot exceed 80% of Area Median Income, or $50,450 for one person.
- Rent levels range from $472 per month and up, dependent upon bedroom size and household income.
- For some properties, applicants who do not own or use a car or other vehicle will receive a preference on the waiting list.
- Priority is given to residents of Santa Barbara and U.S. Veterans.