Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked housing related questions.

If your question is not answered here, please contact us.

Click here for more information about waiting lists.

I’ve just submitted my application, how long will I have to wait for help?

There is not a simple answer to this question because an applicant’s wait will depend upon the housing unit(s) they qualify for and the date of their application, in addition to subsidy availability.  In general, an applicant’s wait for assisted housing is usually several years.

Where am I on the waiting lists?

HACSB does not give out numbers on the waiting list, simply because one’s position may fluctuate as new applicants are added and others are taken off the waiting lists. For more information about waiting lists, please click here.

To check the status of your applications with the Housing Authority of the City of Santa Barbara, please contact us directly at (805) 965-1071, Monday through Friday,  except on Wednesdays, between 8am-10am.

Do I have to be a city resident to apply?

No. You do not have to be a city resident to apply, however, HACSB does give preference to those on the waiting list who currently live or work in South Santa Barbara County (i.e. Gaviota to Carpinteria).

I am a person with disabilities, will I get housing more quickly?

Persons with disabilities will be housed before single persons under the age of 62.

I am a veteran of the U.S. Military, will this help me obtain housing?

Yes. With proper verification, a veteran, spouse or widow of a veteran, will be granted an additional preference point.

Do you have emergency housing or emergency assistance?

No. Federally subsidized housing is not an entitlement program like other forms of public assistance. That is, even though you may be eligible for, and in need of housing assistance, there are not enough funds to assist everyone who qualifies. This is why the wait may be several years.

How old must I be to live in your senior housing?

One must be 62 years of age or older to live in HACSB senior housing.

I have a landlord who is willing to rent to me under the Section 8 program. Can I get a Voucher immediately?

HACSB currently gives a preference to applicants who are “in-place”, meaning they are living in a unit where the owner accepts Section 8. In order to qualify, the family has to have been living in the same unit, within HACSB’s jurisdiction, for a minimum of three months and obtain verification from the property owner or landlord that they are willing to enter into a Section 8 HAP contract in that same unit for a period of no less than 12 months. That verification form can be found here or by contacting HACSB. HACSB has no immediate housing assistance, though this preference can expedite your wait time. No more than ten percent (10%) of new admissions per year will be assisted as a result of receiving the Lease in Place preference.

I’m homeless, can you help me?

Unfortunately, HACSB does not have emergency housing or subsidy available. We can refer you to agencies in town that provide emergency shelter and assistance.

My family is soon to be evicted, how can you help?

Unfortunately, HACSB does not operate emergency housing or emergency subsidy. We were established to provide long term affordable rental housing. Additionally, we are required to provide housing assistance to families according to local and federal preferences, and date of application.