Vera Cruz Village
116 E. Cota Street, Santa Barbara, CA
|Type of Development||Supportive Housing, LIHTC|
|Developer||Santa Barbara Affordable Housing Group|
|Contractor||McGillivray Construction, Inc.|
|Site Area||.25 acres (10,865 sf)|
|Zoning||Multiple-Family Residence (R-3)/Average Unit-Size Density|
|Population Served||Homeless Individuals|
|Parking Provided||15 Spaces|
Vera Cruz Village is located at 116 E. Cota Street. The project serves the special needs population in the Santa Barbara Community by providing 28 new affordable rental studio units, a two-bedroom manager’s unit, and free supportive services. The Housing Authority purchased the site, previously approved as an AUD project for 15 two-bedroom market-rate rental units and commercial space on the ground floor, with plans to convert the development to provide affordable housing units.
The property consists of two parcels with a combined total of approximately 11,000 square feet and sits across the street from the current Cota Street commuter parking lot. The project provides 28 studio units for very low and low-income renters, a two-bedroom manager unit, and common area and office space to accommodate the provision of services and activities on-site. Construction began in late 2021 and the project opened in August 2023. All studio units are subsidized with Project-Based Vouchers, making rent affordable at 30% of a resident’s income.
The Cota Street property features:
- A walkable downtown location that is close to essential services and other amenities.
- A strong “good neighbor” policy, exemplary of the Housing Authority’s proven track record with managing permanent supportive housing developments.
- Project-based rental assistance to provide affordable rent to every resident.
- Regular on-site supportive services including case management and instructor-led educational and health and wellness classes available to residents free of charge.
- Free in-unit internet service.
- A full-time on-site manager to oversee the apartment complex.
- A community room for resident programs, group activities, and support groups.
- Controlled access points for entering and exiting the property.
- No parking demand for residents, reducing the traffic impact of the area.
Applications are currently being accepted for Vera Cruz Village, click here to apply.
- On-site Management
- On-site Supportive Services
- Laundry rooms on each floor
- Common courtyard (722 sf)
- Community room (452 sf)
- One bike space per unit